OSTRANDER, a city in Bloomfield, platted in 1890, was named for William and Charles Ostrander, who gave to the railway company parts of the village site. William Ostrander was born in the state of New York in 1819 and came to Minnesota in 1857, settling here as a farmer. The post office moved there from Hurdal in 1891. The city was incorporated as a village in 1918. It had a station of the Chicago Great Western Railroad and was the site of a low-grade iron mining operation during World War II and several years following.
Courtesy of Minnesota Historical Society